Since October 2017, I am a Ph.D. Fellow for the FWO (Science Foundation of Flanders, Belgium) under supervision of Tom De Medts with Hendrik Van Maldeghem as co-supervisor. I am a member of the Department of Mathematics: Algebra and Geometry at Ghent University. This fellowship lasts 4 years, until September 2021.
ResearchWe investigate the connection between a class of non-associative algebras known as structurable algebras and linear algebraic groups (over arbitrary fields) and related group-theoretical structures such as Moufang sets (this is a class of doubly transitive permutation groups, introduced by Jacques Tits) and buildings (also introduced by Jacques Tits) and related point-line geometries. In particular, we make use of Jordan algebras, quadratic forms, and other algebraic objects related to linear algebraic groups. We are particularly interested in exceptional buildings.
- Bachelor of Mathematics, Ghent University, 2012-2015, summa cum laude.
- Master of Mathematics, Ghent University, 2015-2017, summa cum laude.
- Erasmus stay at the University of Bonn, October 2015-February 2016.
- Eindhoven University of Technology, 5-23 November 2018, with Hans Cuypers as host.
- Malaga University, 14-18 October and 4-8 November 2019, with Cristina Draper and Antonio Fernandez as hosts.
- University of Zaragoza, 21-31 October 2019, with Alberto Elduque as host.
- 3-graphs for projective spaces, Buildings Conference 2015, September 2015, Münster.
- Geometries associated to structurable algebras, Buildings Conference 2018, October 2018, Münster.
- Structurable algebras, Tits-Kantor-Koecher Lie algebras and their inner ideals, II International workshop on non-associative algebras, April-May 2019, Porto.
- Inner line ideal geometries, Buildings Conference 2019, October 2019, Magdeburg.
- Geometries from inner ideals associated to structurable algebras, Algebra Seminar, University of Zaragoza, October 2019.
- Geometries from inner ideals and structurable algebras, Malaga University, November 2019.
Attended conferences, workshops and summer schools
- Buildings 2015, 28-30 September 2015, Münster.
- Panorama of Mathematics, 21-23 October 2015, Bonn.
- Buildings 2017, 3-5 October 2017, Münster.
- Reinhold-Baer-Kolloquium, 20 January 2018, Braunschweig.
- Reinhold-Baer-Kolloquium, 23 June 2018, Würzburg.
- Simple Groups: New Perspectives and Applications, 29-31 August 2018, Bristol.
- Groups, Geometry and Representations, 3-7 September 2018, Oxford.
- Buildings 2018, 4-6 October 2018, Münster.
- II International workshop on non-associative algebras, 28 April-3 May 2019, Porto.
- Summer School on finite groups and related geometrical structures, 19-23 August 2019, Venice.
- Workshop Groups and Geometries, 25-30 August 2019, Banff.
- Buildings 2019, 30 September-2 October 2019, Magdeburg.
- Mini-workshop: Rank one groups and exceptional algebraic groups, 10-16 November 2019, Oberwolfach.
- Extremal elements in Lie algebras, buildings and structurable algebras, joint with Hans Cuypers, in preparation.
- Inner ideals and structurable algebras: Moufang sets, triangles and hexagons, joint with Tom De Medts, in preparation.
I am responsible for the exercise sessions of the following courses at Ghent University:
- Algebra II (academic years 2017-2018, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020): for bachelor students in mathematics (3rd year, 2nd semester), the course notes (in Dutch) are available here.
- Linear Algebraic Groups (academic years 2017-2018, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020): for master students in mathematics (2nd semester), the course notes are available here.
Contacting meMy contact information can be found in the Ghent University Phone Book.
Some useful links
- http://wiskunde.ugent.be: Information for students who (want to) study mathematics at Ghent University (in Dutch).
- http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/query.exe/en?L=profi&: For planning long-distance train jouneys through Europe.